We often wonder why any woman or man would want to remain in a situation that causes them to be beaten or disrespected and treated less than human. But both men and women are violated by an intimate partner. 20 people within a minute’s time each day are abused physically in the United States alone which equates to over ten million women and men a year.
The questions are constantly being asked how in the world do you stay in that? It’s not as easy as it seems to just leave. Having been through that in my lifetime I can honestly tell you that it’s not. The fear and controlled behavior that you have endured for such a long time it begins to take over your reasonable sense of truth and the fear destroys your hope to take any actions at all. There are many reasons for each person and whatever it is for them keeps them there until they can see the light for themselves most finally do but so many never do, and then there are those who end up dying at the hands of someone who vowed to love them. If you are in that situation I urge you to get help for yourself It never ends the way you want it to. The domestic violence hotline in the US is 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
Here’s is 10 reasons but really their many more, but these are the top 10.
- Damaged Self-Worth
- Poor Self Image -No Confidence
- Distorted Thoughts – Paradigms
- Family Expectations and Bad Family Experiences
- Isolation feeling trapped and alone
- Financial Constraints no way to support yourself so you stay
- Wanting to Be the Savior – Feeling they can help change them or love them enough for it to stop.
- Having A Childhood of Abuse- They grow up thinking it’s the norm